Friday, January 07, 2011

Fun Stuff to See and Hear

I've got some fun links for you.

But before I tell you about them, I'm going to force you to see a photo of Pokey (even though you hate it when I do that):


That's my friend Kathy's Featherweight Pokey is peering through. Kathy has been coming over to sew a couple of times a week and it's really helped me to concentrate on sewing (rather than getting distracted by just about anything else). Kathy has been working on Bonnie's current mystery Roll Roll Cotton Boll (which is absolutely gorgeous). I had fun playing with the blocks and trying alternate ways to put them together. Look at how wonderful this is with sashing:


Did anyone else hear the This I Believe essay by Priya Chandrasekaran about using her deceased grandmother's saris in a quilt? It was on Bob Edwards Weekend on December 30th. You can find it on iTunes and on the show's website.

Fun article by Oliver Willms describing growing up with an increasingly obsessed quilter. It rings so true. The comments are interesting as well and note that the article was written with love and fondness - he's not being snarky.

Ooh, V has great post with photos showing you how she just starts without knowing where a quilt is going and following her intuition. Fabulous.

Sarah (House of Krom) shows step-by-step how to free-piece a mondo bird. It's a very cute bird and a well written tutorial.

Nifty finished her gorgeous Anna Williams inspired quilt. And Sujata her fabulous Confetti quilt.

I loved Barbara Brackman's article More Things That Can Go Wrong with some wild quilts. I think the last one is my favorite. Oh and this one too: Out of Control. I personally think all these are How Things Can Go Wild and Fun.

You can now pre-order Word Play Quilts and Bonnie Hunter's Scraps and Shirttails II (woohoo) over at Quiltville.

that's it for this post. See ya later.

22 comments:

DevonMaid said...

Your link to V's post not working ...

Tonya Ricucci said...

thanks, DevonMaid - the link is fixed.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

so many goodies here! What fun! gotta go to that oliver article...
the blocks are fun, isn't it so fun to PLAY!!! LOVE IT!

Jennifer D said...

OH look at pretty Pokeys face, purrfectly framed by a lovely sewing machine! I love it.

Those blocks are stunning with that sashing.

Now I am off to browse through those links, thanks!

Meredith said...

Thank you for the links. I love the article by Oliver. Glad you have a quilting friend who can come over and help with focus. That must be a special relationship.

Rene' said...

Why did you have to show us so many cool quilting links?! Now i'll get nothing done ;-) How fun to have a friend come over and play...especially one with a Featherweight!

AnnieO said...

Love Kathy's colorway! Sewing with friends is so much fun--which I had one to sew with regularly :(

I just looked at that Mondo bird tutorial last night. So cute! Thanks for all the links.

I read my Word Play Quilts book from cover to cover the other night--again!

YankeeQuilter said...

What fun colorways in Kathy's cotton boll quilt! And of course I love the kitty-featherweight photo!

Em said...

CELEBRATING others is so fun! You rock, TOnya, and I wish I could be so lucky to sew with you a couple times of week with the tiring task of trying to keep you focussed-ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sujata Shah said...

Oh.. Pokey! Always so curious! I love this picture. Good to have a sewing friend.. I am still looking for one in my town.
I love Barbara Brackman's quilts out of control. She is so funny! Love reading her blogs..I am of to check all the links!
Thanks!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Peek a boo, Pokey! She would sew if only she could figure out how

Anonymous said...

I have seen several different settings for the rrcb blocks and they all look fabulous. Would Kathy want to know if one of her hst units was sewn on back to front? I will be getting your book next month - can't wait!

Bonnie Hull said...

saw your book on the Stitchin Post website today like a friendly face...

Kathleen C said...

Thank you, Tonya, for posting these links. I've visited a few now and will come back to your blog for the other links soon.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Love the links! Saving some of them for more going over (Like...can you say...airport layover time?!) And please tell Kathy hello from me and I LOVE HER BLOCKS!! They are awesome!

Bonnie

Marisa said...

Loved the article on the quilting infection! I reposted the link giving you credit for finding it, I hope you don't mind.

Also, I love Pokey in the picture at the top. Her enormous blue eyes always make me giggle when she shows up on my Blogger feed. :)

Kim said...

Pokey wants to sew........
it must be fun its what everyone does around her house!

Yeah that RRCB layout is really good looking...and it is such a fun mystery....I'm already making 2 :0).

Happy Sewing

Bev said...

Pokey always looks shocked in the pictures, I think it is the big blue eyes. anyway, love your quilts and pictures of your quilts, and went on several of your side trips on your blog. thanks for this I believe.

Kristin L said...

Thanks for the fun links. All those out of control lone Stars remind me of my own out of control Lone Star. It ended up being quite pretty and has graced my bed for the last four or five years. :-)

Kath said...

My friend Silve has just bought your book, here in England and is very much looking forward to "having a go"!
I look forward to seeing what she makes.
I love the photo of pokey peering through the machine, she is so photogenic. I dont think I would get much sewing donw if i came to your home, I would just want to hug her all day :-D

Anonymous said...

That NPR essay about the sari was so thoughtful and what a loving, living the tribute to one's grandmother this quilt will be.
Carol

Felyneluvr said...

Pokey is beautiful. Cats and sewing "go together" surprisingly well!