Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Liberated

I was so excited to see an advertisement for Gwen Marston's new book that I scanned a pic to post on the blog. That's my stickie on it with Woohoo!!! - that wasn't part of the ad. I was looking at the image on my computer when Pokey came by for a peek, so you get an unexpected photo of two of my favorite things in the world. Kitty Pokey and Gwen's book.


Not that Pokey is a thing: she's a tiny cat person.

I spoke with Gwen last week. I'm sure I've mentioned before that she's my hero. I finally asked Gwen if I could use the word Liberated to describe what I do. Now obviously it's liberated, but could I capitalize and make it official. No more having to always say "free-piecing" to describe things. Guess what?

Gwen said yes! Woohoo again. It's Liberated Letters now. She's happy to have others use that term to describe this style. I didn't want to step on her toes or infringe on her copyright or make her unhappy in any way. No such problem. She is a doll. Am I gushing too much? Sorry. Last bit of Gwen news and then I'll change topic.

Gwen's website has been updated and we can now pre-order autographed copies of Liberated Quiltmaking II from her. It's a big deal to do it that way and support her directly. You can do so here. The retreat dates, information and sign-up form are already posted for 2010 too. The theme is Liberated Quilting. I sooo want to go.

I am finally totally done with the whole sluggish, can barely move, when will this anesthesia be out of my body thing. I'm excited, happy, energetic. Of course my bad knee has blown up, but that was bound to happen. At least it's not too bad (and doing much better) - I refuse to go under another general anesthetic this year.

My husband has gotten so incredibly fit, not to mention tanned, it's disgusting. He looks 20 years younger than me - gack. He bought a set of scales that tell not only a person's weight but their percentage of body fat and body mass index. Stuff I did not need to see. I've managed to keep off the weight that I lost during/immediately after surgery but haven't done as well at losing more. Note to self: must stop weighing myself in the morning and then again in the afternoon when I've gained six pounds. Food and water are that heavy?

We are eating healthier and that's definitely good. Sweetie has been doing most of the grocery shopping which keeps me from all that impulse naughtiness I usually fall prey to. By the way, have you tried 100% whole wheat Angel Hair Pasta. Just that kind. It's wonderful, doesn't taste whole wheaty at all and I've tried three different brands. Love brown basmati rice too, whereas regular brown rice makes me want to cry rather than eat. Course you do have to love basmati rice in the first place.

In continuing health news, Pokey is doing great. She was the most bouncy happy lively bundle of fur this last week. She's not too happy with me today because I took her to the vet's for her saline. I'm now only taking her every six days instead of three times a week. I think she's so much happier this way even if she does come home with a hunchback and her little cat suit all stretched out. She's definitely got baggy sleeves today.

I can't believe I forgot to tell you that I finished the hand quilting on the Margarita Quilt. Still no binding yet, unsurprisingly. The only hand quilting project I have now is Slither, Eek, Boo. Don't take it the wrong way (it's a wonderful quilt) but I hate working on it. Too massive and heavy. Maybe when I'm down to zero hot flashes and the weather finally gets cold(er) it will be more enticing.

Didn't do anything for Halloween this year, not even the decorating. It felt pointless to buy candy to give to kids when there's only about three of them living in the area. This so IS Florida. Instead sweetie and I went out for Mexican food. I figured the calories from the chips and Margarita, and the cheese, and guacamole and okay, all of it, would maybe somehow add up to the bag of trick-or-treat candy that I didn't buy and then eat all by myself.

I am crazy crazy busy with a project and will be a baaaad blogger for awhile. I won't be disappearing, but will post infrequently, just like I have for the last couple of months.

I'm outta here. Ya'all take care.

31 comments:

Millie said...

Tonya, if you wait until the hot flashes stop, you may have to wait a very long time. I'm on year five. They're getting better, but I still get them and it's very annoying.

Glad you are feeling better, Pokey too!

Millie said...

PS, are your blog settings still on Paris time? I'm in the same time zone as you, but it says 1:06 AM, and I haven't even had dinner yet!

sewprimitive karen said...

Dear Pokey. Sounds like you are eating so healthily!

jovaliquilts said...

Well, duh, of course you do liberated quilting! But it's Gwen's term and it's great she thinks you also do Liberated quilting. :)
Sounds like you're doing better, hope that's the case. Enjoy the good eats, I'm a fan of vegetables.

stitchinpenny said...

This is going to sound crazy, but my doctor suggested walking consistently at least a mile a day would help with hot flashes. In my case - walking helped. not walking more hot flashes.

Deborah said...

Always nice to hear from you and see Pokey. I'm toying with going to a Gwen and Freddy class. Very pricey, but tempting. Please check out my blog www.caitty1.blogspot.com I had fun sewing again and did my first letters. I have been making "have to" quilts for too long. This one was just pure fun. Thanks for the tutorial.

Teresa Rawson said...

I'm glad you and Pokey are feeling bouncier...that is GREAT!

I really enjoy checking in on you, your projects and your blog. Thank you for the inspiration. I have big plans to take a leap and make some words...I think they are fantastic and so creative.

Thank you for the info about Gwen. When I lived in Galveston, TX 16-17 years ago, she did a trunk show for our small guild. She came down to talk to one of the bigger Houston area guilds, and we were lucky enough to share her expenses and have her talk to us, too. She was wonderful! I live on the other side of the state from her, and should definitely treat myself to a retreat with her. I don't do "Loreal," but I think Im worth a retreat at some point!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Kathi D said...

Thanks for the heads-up about ordering the book directly from Gwen! I am SO looking forward to this book. I actually own TWO copies of Liberated Quiltmaking--a hardcover for "keeping" and a softcover for "using." She is my idol, too!

Unknown said...

so glad to know you're doing so well!!! And that your husband is still there in FL. with you.

Jennifer D said...

I can't wait to see what your working on!

Clare said...

I'm useless on copyright law. Does that mean that the "Liberated" word in the web ring and the Yahoo! group is subject to Gwen's copyright?

I'd do anything to get to a BIQR, but unfortunately it will have to remain a dream.

I agree with stichinpenny. A walk a day, even if it's 10 minutes round the block, helps, but you and I are so alike when it comes to laziness so you'll probably do I what do - think about it for 10 minutes before getting back to the sewing LOL!

Woo hoo - HH is being quilted on the kitchen table. Like Slither Eek Boo, it weighs a ton and has to be turned every 3 minutes or so.

That last photo of Little Pokey is gorgeous.

Joyce said...

Thanks for the heads up about Gwen's new book. I'd so love to go to one of her classes. Too bad they fill up almost instantly because I don't usually plan that far ahead.

Fabric Fanatic said...

So good to hear you sounding like YOU! I think you've turned the corner. I was surprised when I had surgery at 58 how long it took me to come back to me. It made me have a real appreciation of what I took for granted when I was in my 20/30/40's...LOL.

Loris said...

Ms Pokey is looking so beautiful. I'm sorry she has to endure the trips to the vet but it really seems to be working. Our best meows to her from me and my felines.

Magpie Sue said...

I'm glad to hear that things are finally looking up for you and Pokey :- )

Unknown said...

This post is so full of happy news. Great to see--you back to 100%. That's the best news of all.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a lot of good news--you're better and even the kitty cat is better. I'm waiting for that new book!

Kristin Shields said...

Great news about the book. I can't wait to see it in person. Good to hear that you and Pokey are doing great too. I'm recovering from the flu- yuck!

Sharon said...

I'm so glad to hear that you're finally starting to feel like yourself again. Surgery is so hard on a person. After a month, I'm finally starting to feel better too, and mine was not nearly as tough as yours. (Like Fabric Fanatic said, at 58, I don't bounce back so good!) I'm glad to hear that Pokey is doing better too! She's looking beautiful.

Thank you for the link to order Gwen's book. DH just asked me what I want for my birthday, and now I know what to tell him! I'm so excited about this book. . . I agree with the "Whoo Hoo"! And also that Gwen thinks you're Liberated. . . that's so cool! She is a wonderful person.

As far as the quilting, could you work at a table, putting the quilt on the table instead of on you? That's what I did when I lived in So. Cal. I also aimed the A/C right on me! Those hot flashes aren't gonna stop real soon. . . at least, not based on my experience! Good luck!

Katie said...

Food and water are definately that heavy. SIGH. :-)

Clare Wassermann said...

Liberated is good - let's hope you#ll be liberated from your sluggishness too soon.

Barb said...

Glad you are feeling better and back to being busy on a project.
Have fun --
barb

jude said...

good luck with whatever you are doing...

Lynda said...

I'm sympathetic about the hot flushes, but not too sympathetic about hand quilting being too hot in Florida! In the UK the weather is just cold enough to enjoy a quilt on your lap to sew!

julieQ said...

I had a HUGE hot flash yesterday and thought I might succomb...but I survived! If I could only lose a little weight like you, I would be better. Glad you are doing well, and amen for the YOOHOO!

YankeeQuilter said...

I am amazed how you can get your cats to pose like that...I have to stalk Brownie and Goldie with the camera! Liberated Camp....sounds good to me. Off to do homework!

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh yes...sounds like good news all around...your health...kitty too and Gwen's book!!!
Glad your 'sweetie' is there for support!!!
I too have been slack on my blogging....I must get some of these UFO's done!!!

junecleaver24 said...

I"m so glad I found your blog. I need some excitement in my quilting life and aaahhh, I found it!
Anyone I talk to about my desire to quilt outside the geometric box gives me a "huh?" look. So nice to know that I'm not entirely crazy.
Or, if I am that I'm not alone. I can hardly wait to try these letters!

Kim said...

Just stopping by to use your letter tutorials once again :0).

Hope you are well, up and around and enjoying quilting again.

Thinking of you,
Happy Sewing

Unknown said...

Hello Tonya,

If you haven't tried brown and wild rice mixed together, which is usually sold in bulk, then please do! We put it into the rice cooker and it smells wonderful and tastes even better. And very healthy!

Enjoy,
Connie - Boise, ID

Cheryl Arkison said...

Have you tried brown rice pasta? It has a better texture than the whole wheat pasta but better health benefits than regular pasta.