Monday, April 06, 2009

Prezzies

Last month V, who blogs as Bumble Beans, came down to visit while she and her family were visiting Florida. Had such a good time talking with her, believe me. She was so sweet and made this quilt for me.  It is wonderful, you can see a pic on her blog that'll give a better idea of the size of it (as well as a peek at Pokey) and see me and V together as well.

V came up with her own way of doing the letters - very appealing. Look at how she did this N - I've never thought of doing an N that way yet it's so simple (well, if you're not splitting it in half and making it multi-colored).

I received a name block from Lois W who used dog fabric because she has three. Look at the really fine job she did on the S - marvelous and I bet it was a lot of work. 

Thank you V and Lois for the prezzies.

Everything here is pretty much the same as always. I'm getting my uptake scan this week (for the thyroid thingie) and boy will I be happy to end this low-iodine diet (which I started way earlier than I needed to because I'm an idiot).

The rest of this post is sci-fi geekness.

I watched the very short Eureka Season 3. Only seven episodes - was it cut short by the writers' strike? Anyway, I just adore the show, I really do and I thought this season was stellar. It's a nice happy show that does have hidden depths especially now that we've seen what could happen in the future. Haven't seen the show? It's kind of Northern Exposure, but with a lot of quirky scientists inventing things that too often go wrong.

Loved loved loved the time loop episode I Do Over. Ooh, it's available on Hulu if you want to watch it here. Not quite sure how you'll like it if you haven't seen the other episodes, but it's fun.

It's hardly surprising I love that ep since I'm fond of the whole Groundhog Day kinda thing. Now it wasn't as good an episode as Windows of Opportunity when Jack and Teal'c were stuck in a loop for months on Stargate SG-1, but what could be?

I'm trying to think of other time loops shows. There was one on X-files but remember that only being so-so. Did you ever see the movie 12:01? A poor guy who works in an office discovers that the lab's physics experiment has gone very wrong and he's the only one who knows it. And uh oh, can he save the girl of his dreams from being murdered? It's low-key and just really sweet.

Somewhere in Time (Christopher Reeve travels back in time to woo Jane Seymour) doesn't count - time travel but not a loop. Do love that movie, or should I say did? I watched it over and over and over again when it first came out. I was in high school and at an impressionable age. Haven't seen it in years though, so not sure how well it's aged.

That's all I can think of at the moment. See ya later. 

27 comments:

AJMC said...

Not a movie but an episode of Buffy - series maybe 6? where the "evil trio" play around with time. Also memorable from this ep is Buffy drinks too much and Spike reveals that he plays poker for kittens...
I enjoy your blog very much - hope you're better soon.
Bye
A

Browndirtcottage said...

ooouuu...yes...good 'prezzies'!!!

pwl said...

There was the episode of STTNG where they kept repeating one day over and over - - including a poker game - and ending (don't remember exactly how) with a ship captained by Kelsey Grammar. If it was an original series episode I probably would have remembered the title. ;-)

Beena said...

I absolutely loved "Back To The Future" way back when. For a while now, "LOST" has been doing a time travel thing, but as to whether or not it's a loop is up in the air. There was also a loop on a "Star Trek Next Generation" episode.

I had forgotten about the loop on "Buffy". Also had forgotten the "X-Files" loop episode, which I thought was great.

Time loop or not, "Somewhere in Time" has been an all time favorite for me.

Sci-Fi is some great stuff. I'll have to look for that 12:01 movie, Tonya...sounds promising.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Groundhog Day is one of my favorite movies. Those letters are cute. I'll check it out.

Unknown said...

I know I am going right to the sci-fi stuff. But, I have to say that one of my favorite movies was Somewhere in Time. Like you I watched it over and over when it first came out. Cried like a baby every time. Haven't seen it in years though, but would be willing to see it again.

Dan S said...

Oh my -- Somewhere in Time was on HBO in an Groundhog-Day-like loop in the early 80s, and I watched it over and over too. I'm guessing it doesn't hold up too well.

There's a great german movie called Run Lola Run, where Franka Potente has 20 minutes to find 100K or her boyfriend gets shot by gangsters or something. It's replayed 3 times (with the clock running realtime on screen), and each time, one slight change at the beginning causes everything to be different by the end. Not time travel so much as butterfly effect, but I enjoyed it at the time.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

oh yeah! no more yucky diet plan! Yippee! That alone will probably make you feel better! ;-)
Glad you like your prezzie. I'm thinking i should try to make one fro myself now.. It was kind of fun! I'm trying new letters too it's kind of a fun challenge!!!... -- V

Kristin Shields said...

There have been several time loop shows in Star Trek. Those are always favorites around here. Somewhere in Time is one of the first DVD's we ever bought so we've watched it every now and then. It's still interesting, but kind of sad to remember Christopher Reeve so young and vital. That Eureka show sounds fascinating! I love Northern Exposure. Lucky you with the prezzies!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I love "time loop" story lines...they make your head hurt ;o) I loved Somewhere in Time too...it's one of those lost movies of the 80's. I can also remember an after-school special that had the girl go back in time and meet her mother and there was something about a roll top desk with a hidden compartment and a hidden letter. I'd love to see that again.

Tracey in CT said...

Tonya, if you haven't already seen them, both Sliders and Quantum Leap are definitely worth watching, and they aren't quite time-jumping, but rather universe/alternate reality jumping shows. We are big fans of both of those shows here.

Tracey in CT said...

Oh yes, and I second Dad who suggested Run Lola Run! Definitely a good Movie! And Donnie Darko, too!!

Joyce said...

I love that N. It's a much easier way and would probably work with M as well.

nannergirl said...

Great present Tonya! I watched one episode of Star gate that was all a time loop; it was hilarious! people started doing silly things, like kiss their co-workers, because they knew they'd start over tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I watched a Voyager episode I watched on our sci-fi channel in Ontario, Canada last night. Janeway and Jakote(sp) were in the shuttle and they kept looping back and Janeway "died" and wouldn't give up. It turned out an alien was in her body trying to trick her into going with him into an "eternity" which he could feed off her energy.
Gotta love sci-fi there are always alternate realities and time loops.
Jo
Loving quilting and sci-fi in Ontario, Canada

Laurel said...

Watch Timeline. Its a great timetravel/loop movie.

YankeeQuilter said...

The time space continuum...gotta love it! What do ya mean geeky sci-fi stuff - are you insinuating my 8 year old Star Trek Academy T-shirt with the hole in the front is some how geeky?! Some folks have no sense of style....

MelissaS said...

Somewhere in Time, sigh. If it's on TV I end up watching it. Is it cheesy? Yes. But it gets me everytime.

As far as time loop things, there was an ep in the last season of Angel where Illyria is jumping around in time and certain situations are repeated...don't know if this counts really.

Cher said...

I also liked Run Lola Run...and own Groundhog Day as well. Hope you get through this thyroid thing and can once again enjoy those foods you have been missing out on. the names coming in continue to be such fun

Coll said...

Hi Tonya, Hope all things thyroid settle down very soon and you are feeling better. Groundhog Day is one of my all-time faves. Everytime I watch it I get something different from it. I will have to track down Eureka as I am a Northern Exposure fan too. They did an episode when the characters from N.E. played characters from the past when Cicely was being established. I remember watching Somewhere In Time with my husband pre-marriage in the theatre. (Sigh!). Love the kitty pics as we are presently catless. Neat prezzies.

Laura said...

Great presents! I love Somewhere in Time, I bought the DVD a few years ago. One of my all time favorites as it was made on Mackinaw Island, which is one of our favorite places to visit.

mereth said...

I just watched the Star Trek Next Gen episode with the 'temporal loop', so I can tell you it's called Cause and effect, from season three. I also love the episode where Tasha Yar joins a ship from another time so she can make history 'right' again. Mmn, I love this whole concept of time being bent or looped or spiraled (I think John Wyndham wrote a story about time spirals)

jmb_craftypickle said...

Those quilts are great!! I also just want to say that I love reading your geek-out moments about sci-fi...so great. I haven't seen all of the shows, but I always get new ideas!

Fiber Babble said...

I, too, love the time travel/loop stories - though once or twice with Groundhog Day was enough. The SG-1 show makes me laugh every time. For decades I've considered Somewhere in Time one of my faves - but now I'm wondering how it does hold up. Maybe I won't Netflix it so I'm not disillusioned!

Have you read The Time Traveler's Wife?? I don't know how it does in print, but I listened to the audio book. I really liked it.

Love-love-love the gifty. Very inspiring (and I'm going to go stare at the "N" to set it into my brain!).

Lynda said...

I too love clever time tricks. I enjoyed 'Sliding Doors', where a girl either gets on a train and gets home to find her boyfriend cheating on her, or misses the train to get home later and find all is fine. then she has two paths through the film. A nice, gentle film with two happy endings. Love the TONYA by the way, and the N is great in the word. Shows how well our brain recognises shapes in context.

Clare said...

Playing catch up again. We've been having some fantastic weather so have been making the most of it. You look terrific in that photo on V's blog.

Hope all is ok.

Quilts And Pieces said...

That is one cool way of doing letters! What a great gift. Gee, it has been forever since I"ve seen somewhere in time too. I should check it out again too.