Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Halloween Lapquilt

When we moved to Cairo in 2003 I was thinking: it's going to be sunny and warm - we won't need quilts to USE. Fat lot I knew. Buildings are all made to stay cool, not retain heat. Lots of concrete and marble - brrr. So I had to make a couple of lapquilts in a hurry.

I decided to make myself a Halloween-themed quilt, thinking I'd make something to use for the rest of the year later. I got out a couple of jack o'lantern prints that I absolutely love - their grins glow in the dark. I didn't want to cut them up, so I left all the pieces as they were, except when I had to cut them down to join them to something else.

Here's my husband holding up my quilt (this is all you'll ever get to see of him). As it turns out, I use this year round - makes me smile no matter what the season is.

Yes, it's long. A "lap" quilt for me has to tuck under my feet and chin with some extra to spare. This quilt is the perfect size for that.
Even better than a cozy quilt and a cup of tea? Adding my sweetie girls sleeping together peacefully. They woke up when the camera came out, but at least they didn't start squabbling - at least not right away.
Lily and Pokey:

Now when I look at the fabric, I wished I had more of the jack o'lanterns to use in other quilts and this purple fabric that also includes ghosts and bats is a hoot. And some of the others I think, why did I ever buy this?
The rest of the post is geeking out so if you have no interest in sf/fantasy tv, feel free to skip.
I've been on a Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathon. It's finally the right time for me to watch all of them, though I have to admit I've discovered a fondness for the fast forward button. I know, it seems wrong to not watch all of every episode, but quite frankly I can't stand Drusilla - all the face twitching and growls get old real fast. I'm so crazy, I'm so crazy - boring. Don't want to see anyone tortured either. Okay, I know it happens, that's enough.
Plus you have some episodes that are dogs. Third Season first ep, Anne? Boring. At least the bits with Buffy in NY. But the bits with the Scooby Gang are great. After watching Dead Man's Party I've realised I really must watch Shaun of the Dead this year.
Yesterday I watched BtVS' Band Candy - definitely one of my favorites. That's the one where the grownups all regress to teenagers. Then my sweetie and I watched a season two ep of Eureka where a bunch of the physicists all became dumb. Hee hee hee - fun to watch them close together like that.
I had the urge to start watching Buffy after getting the BtVS season 8 comic book, vol 2. Xander looks great in his eye patch. I just need more more more Buffy. Hope someday they'll do a few tv movies or a mini-series. Not just a big screen movie - don't get nearly enough character development in those. That's one of the joys of rewatching the series - all the tiny early fragments of Jonathon. So fun to see him young and innocent. What he becomes later wouldn't have meant nearly so much without this.
Ya'all have seen Buffy right? And Eureka? If you're still reading this post you should at least try them.

20 comments:

Twisted Quilts said...

This is a great idea for big prints. I am not as crazy about Halloween prints as you are but seeing these makes me want to go look for some. I do love a warm lap quilt and this one is looks great.

Unknown said...

I'm with you on the size of a lap quilt--it needs to be generous in size with lots to tuck in all around. I'm hoping to get a Halloween quilt made before next year.

Idaho Quilter said...

My cat has taken over my favorite lap quilt, I don't have the heart to take it away from her.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wonderful kitty photos ~ I keep our Christmas quilt out year round... too pretty and comfortable to pack away.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

As a quilter I feel maybe I should get a few cats...?? I'm feeling the odd ball with two dogs! ;-)
love the kitties rolled together... my dogs do that too. I'm not much of a Halloween fan... can't wait for Friday to be over with... but love fall! And love anything that can be snuggled up in... very festive!

Michelle said...

I've never watched that show, but I read to the end, so maybe I should! LOL

Ms. Jan said...

Love the Halloween quilt. As far as I'm concerned, the season is much too short and we'll keep all the goodies out until half way to Thanksgiving. We're on a marathon of all of our old Halloween fave's right now, Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, plus our seasonal must-watch Sleepy Hollow. I love Halloween too!

Laurie Ann said...

I am now re-watching Angel. I hate the season where everyone hates Wesley for losing baby Connor. Like they haven't all done something stupid!! And then when Cordelia and Connor hook up, that's the worst. Otherwise, I love it all! :) I am liking the comics too. The Angel comics are awful though.

Fiber Babble said...

I have Buffy on my list to revisit (after Lexx); I know that I didn't see any of the entire last season, and most of what happened after her sister was outed (so to speak). The reason I stopped watching didn't have anything to do with the show as I recall... musta been life getting in the way.

I'd go back just to see Spike, actually. :-) I was thrilled to see Marsters on Torchwood for some episodes.

(and yes, it looks like a happy and snuggly quilt!!)

Judy in Michigan said...

On Sunday you had your "home" blocks...I love the plaids. How large is each letter and how large is the word? I seem to always end up with huge words and I need a gauge. Thank you!!

siteseer said...

As soon as my son gets out his cats scramble too. I'm surprised to see that you got them both in one shot. Can you have too many quilts?

Tracey in CT said...

We've been watching Eureka, too. We just got Disc 2 yesterday. I just need to be able to stay awake after the kids are asleep and I'll get to actually watch it.

Maureen and P.D. the Pet Dog said...

Love your halloween quilt...thanks for the idea to use up some of my fav halloween fabrics so I can enjoy them instead of looking at them on the shelf folded neatly...ha ha ha! Thanks for the Buffy review...never saw it but always thought I'd like it.

MelissaS said...

I love Buffy! My Hubby bought me all 7 seasons on DVD as a birthday gift one year. Their great lying in bed sick or treadmill viewing. And even though I initially did not like the series Angel, I got sucked into that too. The Buffy universe was one I was sad to leave.

Fran said...

The two best things in the world, cats and quilts. Love the halloween prints, and I have a few myself.

~~Fran...:c)

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Lazy Gal you are such a big fan of Halloween. cute quilt

pwl said...

I never got into Buffy when it was on TV (although I love the musical episode!), and I quite enjoyed Angel, but only saw a few episodes. But I LOVE Eureka - and now have to go find season 2 on DVD. I might wait for a bit though - just got The Man from U.N.C.L.E. on DVD so there's a bunch of stuff to keep me going for a while :)

julieQ said...

Yummy good quilt and kittie approved! Ok, that is just tooo much Buffy!! :)

Cher said...

nice Halloween quilt Ton-I tried clicking to see the quilting but it wouldn't enlarge..good thinking to keep those prints intact-so fun to look at.

calamity kim said...

hi! Thanks for visiting me- I added you to my sidebar- I will try to visit as often as I can- I love meeting new quilters- especially if they live in Paris! I was giggling when I read your comment- I love Shaun of the dead- I crack up every time! I also love Practical Magic,Lost Boys, and Legend (with Tom Cruise before weirdness overtook him. We get into marathons and love to watch them for hours in a row- sometimes days!!! Like Pushing Daisies, X Files, Far Scape and Battlestar Galactica!! We are total sci/fi geeks too!
The smiling jack o lantern quilt does look cozy! The cats are snuggled up so cute! I gotta tell ya- those HOME blocks are awesome! Nothing wrong with them at all! Maybe a solid color around them would make them stand out but they are sweet as pie in the plaids.
Hey I love those gargoyles! Keep em coming! I am off to read some more of your enchanting Blog.
Happy stitching!
xxxooo
calamity kim