Monday, August 06, 2007

Melting

Long time, no quilt content. Sorry about that, but it's about to change. I need to take a break from the Mardi Gras thready - it's almost completed and that's when it gets really hard to get the needle through all the layers of floss.

So I got Blooming Horrors back out. I haven't worked on it since September 2005, although I did drag it all the way to the states with me last winter. Yesterday I got the rat, bat, and moon on using needle-turn applique. Pokey thinks it needs a cat:

If I actually stick to this project I may have it up on the wall for this Halloween. Then again, I may get bored and switch projects yet again. They do get done eventually. Sometimes.

Looking down a side street from the Champs Elysees last month brought an unusual sight: a melting building:


The street sign reads Rue Christophe Colomb.



Okay, it's not really a building, but rather a fabric covering a scaffolding at a construction site. There are PVC (I think) details added in to give it even more zing.

The whole work is amazing. There is a website for this "urban surrealism" project, which is called the 39GeorgeV.

This work required 40 people and more than 370 working hours.

Rain, rain, rain today. It will give my bad knee more time to recover from all my recent walking, although I really do need to dash out for food. Ramen two nights in a row just isn't appealing.

Did I tell you I tried Doctor Who? I never cared for the older ones, but the newer versions have been highly recommended, so I gave Series One a shot (that's the one with the actor who played Bilborough in Cracker - the real U.K. version with Robbie Coltrane) . Have to say, hated it. Just not for me. I'll watch Red Dwarf instead, thanks, if I need a dose of British comedic sci-fi. Or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I haven't seen since high school.

19 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a neat post about the melting building...boy you do have to look closely to see what's real and what's not.
Pokey blends in nicely with that quilt...almost looks like he should be part of it!...besides what Halloween quilt isn't complete without a cat!

Clare said...

Obviously the mouse is of great interest and she looks gorgeous with those colours. Beautiful puddy chatte.

I love the photos from the ferris wheel and that melting building is superb. DD has just seen them "Oh Wow!".

Try the David Tennant Dr Who - I thought Chris Eccleston was a bit too intense, tho Billy Piper was good.

Hope the knees calms down and enjoy HP7 when it arrives. My lips are sealed, but I will say that we probably won't hear from you for a few days :-)

jovaliquilts said...

I looked at the Halloween quilt much too long before reading, and I couldn't figure out how you made the cat so realistic! Not your usual style, but...

Love the scaffolding, love it! We've seen lots of building look-alike scaffolding in Europe, but this is absolutely the most amazing I have ever seen. Wow!
Cheri

Unknown said...

I'm with jovaliquilts--I thought that was very realistic kitty appliqué.

They will love those "melting building" shots on Flickr.

Lily Mulholland said...

Love the scaffolding screen - only in Paris eh?

And yes, that quilt needs a cat!

Sorry you didn't like Dr Who. I liked it up until the end of series two, but it's lost me now...

Quilting Pirate said...

so is your kitty baste on the new quilt top? LOL That is a wonderful play with photography!

Donna said...

When I first looked I thought the halloween quilt was a new venture in style for you -- then I read the write up and realized pokey had got herself featured again! :-) It'd make a really interesting quilt to add a cat....

Joyce said...

THe melting building is simply amazing. It's so realistic in the photos at least. What a nice way to cover construction.

Unknown said...

Okay, I thought the cat was part of the quilt too.

And that building... way too cool!

Hugs,
Melinda

Gypsy Quilter said...

What cool building pictures!

Laurie Ann said...

Have you tried the 4400? I love it!!

Judy said...

Very very Cool!!

Holly said...

You could have fooled me. I thought the building was real - was wondering why the Eifel Tower was so amazing when they have a melting building that appears to be more of an architectural feat to me ;-) Love the pictures.

Katie said...

Melting building. Now I've seen it all. Great pics. Thanks for taking me along.

atet said...

That building cover is very cool! What a great way to cover up scaffolding!

As for Dr. Who -- yeah, if you didn't like the original, the new one just won't do it for you either. As a fan of the original and the new one -- I can say, you can watch Shawn of the Dead but not like the Dr??? Eeep! :0)

Candy Schultz said...

Actually I think Pokey looks perfect on that. I thought at first it was fabric I was seeing.

Sorry you don't like Dr. Who. I love that whole series all the way back to the beginning. I did not know there was a Hitchhiker's series. I was not terribly happy with the film though I love the books.

Mary Johnson said...

The cat makes a nice addition to the quilt. The building is certainly interesting. I thought they were just altered photos at first.

McIrish Annie said...

Love the melted building! wish they would do that here and cover the mess of construction, plus a nice surprise when it's done!

Hard to believe that Halloween is just around the corner, maybe I should start my October journal now so it might be done for the big day!

you inspired me to do a "thready" of sorts of my own will post on my blog later this week as I need to finish it for a class on Saturday! come visit!

Anonymous said...

Do try the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy current movie. It was well worth sticking around to the end of it. Sorry you didn't like the Dr. Who. I rather liked it. I really enjoyed the last Harry Potter book. Sad but she is such an excellent writer. Spent pretty much most of one chapter sobbing. It probably didn't help that it was 2 a.m. Love the flowers. My brain immediately started working on what I would do with that title.