Thursday, July 26, 2007

Threadies

I'm trying to decide if Color Thready II is finished or not. Usually I don't quit putting in stitches until all of the background is covered. I don't want to do that here because I like the batiks showing through. I'm pinning it up on my board and looking at it for awhile. What do you guys think? Does it look complete? Any area bother you? By the way, it's all ripply now but when I give it a quick bath and then block it out it will be flat.

Decided to start on another thready project, something mindless to do while watching tv. The base is a horrible black calico print from the mid 1980's. I used it in my Masterpiece Quilt and it has already faded to brown. It's never being used in a quilt top again, tho it works fine for this or quilt backing. The initial size of the fabric was 6.25" x 6.75"

I started by couching yarn on it and now I'm doing running stitches with embroidery floss and rayon floss.

Definitely a bummer year for the Tour de France with all the doping problems. Miserable, although Discovery Channel now has two riders for a podium finish if they maintain their places.

I've got a friend coming into town for a week and another just for the weekend - I hope Paris isn't too crazy with people for the end of the Tour on Sunday. I've noticed that restaurants and shops in my area are already closing for their summer holidays. Just closing your store for 6 weeks - I find that hard to fathom. Nice lifestyle though.

12 comments:

Donna said...

A few of the small independent businesses here close for holidays like that -- I try hard to support them the rest of the year as I think its such a healthy choice to actually take a holiday even if you are a small business and don't have enough employees to stagger holidays...

I love the threadies. I started one, got tired of it and put it away. May need to pull it out again :-) The one with couched threads reminds me of Mardi Gras for some reason :-) Maybe its to abundance of texture being like the necklaces...

Joyce said...

Both threadies are looking great. When we were in Paris we asked the people at the restaurant we usually went to, how they could afford to close all of August and they replied that it was only tourists around then anyway. I thought tourists would be their main income but apparently not.

Anonymous said...

The top one looks done to me. The bottom one will be very cool with the couched yarns.

It's very European for small shops to close up for the month of August. It means everyone gets their 4 week vacation, as opposed to the US where you'd only be able to take one week off if you worked someplace small. I guess the loss of revenue for one month is balanced by a more productive/happier work force the rest of the year. The big difference I've noticed is that Americans live to work and Europeans work to live.

Unknown said...

I like the top one. It looks done to me.

Hugs,
Melinda

Katie said...

Love your thready - both of them. So creative. Now that is something I'd like to try. You really inspire me. Thanks.

McIrish Annie said...

Tonya, I like that threadie as is. and the new one looks exciting. I was thinking of you when the whole Tour de France thing began, sorry, but as a Red Sox fan, I know disappointment. Hang in there, there's always next year!

Holly said...

The top thready is perfect and beautiful as is.

Those tour de france boys need to behave, get their act together and learn from others' mistakes. It's not worth the shame and national embarrassment.

I think closing a business for a month or two in the summer would be great. Wait, I'm already living that dream - hehe.

Terri Stegmiller said...

It's so colorful and alive. Love it!

Candy Schultz said...

I tried to send you emails yesterday but they kept coming back. I am sure you know about Rasmussen. I am getting pretty jaded about cycling. At least Contador, Leipheimer and Evans have always been clean.

Magpie Sue said...

Color Thready II looks done to me too. What a happy, vibrant piece!

Thanks for the pix of the marble statues in a recent post. It is indeed fascinating how the scuptors achieved drape in stone!

atet said...

I think Color Thready II is done. Unless you wanted to add some surface embellishments, it's great as is. Love the colors and textures on the newest one.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh man! I love that top thready! It is gorgeous!