Thursday, May 25, 2006

Kitty Condo

The kitties do so love their boxes.

Sorry ya'all. I meant to be much better about getting the tutorial in here for you. I appreciate all the feedback you've given me.

I've had some distractions this week and have been off my sewing game. I had a beading class yesterday as well as quilting bee. Plus I've been making arrangements for our trip to Alexandria, which is on the northern coast of Egypt on the Mediterranean Sea. Even tho I knew what the dates were for the trip I still thought it was next weekend. Surprise it's THIS weekend - we leave in the morning at 6:45 and come back Saturday at 11:00pm.

A quick answer to Shellie's question: yes, my lower-case letters really are wide. I love how it looks. Take a peek at Bad to the Bone and read the post if you haven't before. That's one of my favorite quilts I've ever made and one of the things I love about it is the short, wide letters.

It all comes down to personal preference and how you like the letters to look. That's why a project where you make the same letters over and over again (Such as Xs and Os or L-O-V-E or anything else you might want to do) can be so valuable. You play around and figure out your favorite way to make the letters.

Plus you get practise. The more practise you get, the more you will like how your letters turn out. I know I say that over and over for things like the freehand fan quilting, but it's true. Practise. I've been doing these letters for over five years now so don't compare your letters with mine (that means you, friend Nina).

Practising doesn't mean you're working towards perfection (never a goal I endorse). It just means finding your confidence and your own way of doing it (whether sewing or quilting) that suits you and works for you.

Something I've learned over the years: a stick figure drawn with authority looks pretty darn good.

So I may not be back for a few days. Hubby has Sunday off for Memorial Day (working week here is Sunday through Thursday) so I'm not sure I'll even get computer time when we get back into town. Not knowing what week it is (and when our weekend getaway was coming up) really through me off this week.... I'll catch up with ya'all soon.

11 comments:

Laura said...

Have a great time on your trip Tonya!!

Cher said...

sounds like a great short trip planned-and I appreciate hearing the goal is to make letters that you like the look of...love the kitty box photo!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Yup I've always loved the letter in Bad to the Bone but never knew why - I bet it is those chunky letters. Actually my favorite letters are on Bonnie's Shoo Fly quilt!

Oh have a good time. See you next week1

YankeeQuilter said...

Why is it your long weekends sound so much more exciting then mine? that's right...i don't live near the pyramids, Alexandria....what are we doing? A pig roast at the lake. Just doesn't sound so exciting anymore...!
Sio

ForestJane said...

Ohh, have fun! Bring back a lot of pictures so we can travel vicariously!

And I think you need another couple of boxes for your kitty condo so all four can have their own apartment. :)

KC Quilter said...

Great kitty condo! (I'm hiding Rocky and Natasha's eyes LOL or they'll be wanting one too!)

Anonymous said...

Have fun on the trip!

Ann said...

Tonya, I hope you are having a wonderful time away! Don't apologize for having a LIFE! hehe. I wish I had big plans like that for this weekend. My big plans were a float trip today(Saturday) and cleaning out the attic the next 2 days....whoo hoo.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

*LOL* This pic cracked me up so much..and the title too..kitty condo..*hehehe*

Bonnie

Lily Mulholland said...

Ooh your kitty condo has curtains - very flash LOL!

A surprise holiday. Lovely. Never mind, I am sure you can buy essentials in Alexandria if you forget anything!! Have a great time :)

Lucy said...

Hi Tonya, These words from you are comming right from my heart !!

"Practising doesn't mean you're working towards perfection (never a goal I endorse). It just means finding your confidence and your own way of doing it (whether sewing or quilting) that suits you and works for you."

Have a wonderfull time !