Thursday, February 02, 2006

Alien House with Saturn

Wow, found some more groovy houses to share with you all. It's a blast to see what kinds of houses people are building. Make sure you check out: Kathie and Nancy (who also created a tree) and Carolyn. Quilt Pixie has now added a great free-pieced wonky car to her village.

And on the theme of improvisational piecing, Kate has created some awesome ladybugs.

This is the first block that I've completely quilted from Spaces 4 Rent. It's slow going, esp since I'm doing stupid stab stitch quilting. Don't ask me why, I know it's not the lazy option. I just love how it looks when I quilt 1/8" from the edge of the seam, even when it's thru multiple layers of fabric so I can't do a running stitch. This block (and the entire quilt) is being done with size 8 perle cotton or 3 strands of embroidery floss.

I went out to lunch today with friends. Wow, that's three days in a row - what a social animal I am. Gray and nasty again outside and a bit chilly, but at least it didn't spit rain drops at me like it did yesterday. I ordered some more furniture from the amazing craftsmen who made my mashrabiya screen. These won't be mashrabiya and won't be nearly that elaborate tho.

I have gotten very little done lately, what with the socializing online and in person. And being lazy...

9 comments:

Patti said...

This is the best yet in my mind - love the little alien and his home planet! Tonya, the first big stitch quilting I did was with size 5 pearl cotton, and I love how it looks. You might try it sometime - you might like it also.

heather said...

I love that block.

By the way, I cried through the end of Angel too.

Finn said...

Great house Tonya!! I have that little alien living on a planet near my sewing machine...lucky yours tho, he's got a house. There goes the neighborhood...LOL

The stab stitch really is a pain, but it looks really awesome. Go ove and give me some advice on my swamp cabin when you get a chance..*G*

Nines said...

The quilting might be a pain, but my! doesn't it look great? I don't think I have what it takes to purposely set myself down a path I know is going to pain me! Love to see your furniture when it comes in. Socializing does limit my creativity- takes energy trying to be witty! I love your tutorial on the houses!

Laura said...

I am loving what you have done so far, I can't wait to see the rest. The quilting looks great so far, now get them little fingers a working so Laura can see the rest of this quilt!

Anonymous said...

You've really started something Tonya! LOL. Funny little houses are popping up all over the world - quilting will never be the same again :-)

Carolyn said...

I'm constantly amazed at how perfect your quilting stitches are! It seems no matter what method you use it turns out great! I especially love the quilting on the roof and Saturn.

YankeeQuilter said...

The aliens are my favorite...now I have to get going an uncover a house under all my stuff!

Sio

Quilts And Pieces said...

Gosh I've missed your blog and you this week! I"m so down in the dumps not being able to keep up with the quilt blogs! Love your little house! But then I love all your stuff!